Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Crags of Pingxi (Cimu Ridge, Cimu Peak, Mt. Putuo, Xiaozi) 平溪 (慈母嶺, 慈母峰, 普陀山, 孝子山)


Xiaozi (Filial Son) Peak, Pingxi

This past weekend I headed back to Pingxi to scale the crags I didn't have time to hike when I first went to Pingxi. It took three hours from my front door to the start of the trail, so I was a little worried I wouldn't have time to complete the hike before dusk, but I managed to do it under the estimated time, including the time I spent just sitting on the various peaks enjoying the scenery (and breeze). 


map at trail entrances

The trail entrances are on the main road just off old street (tourist street, rather). The first time I was here I crossed the road and turned left, quickly reaching the trailhead leading directly up to the famous crags. This time I turned right, and after about a ten minute walk down the road came to the other trail entrance, which leads up to and along Cimu Ridge, taking me to the backside of Cimu Peak (the right-hand, highlighted loop on the map above). I found this backdoor route to the Pingxi crags through Richard Saunders' essential hiking guidebook, Taipei Escapes 1. (Also, Cimu is sometimes spelled Tzmu, depending on how old the signs are.)


a bamboo forest lines the first part of the trail

Pingxi is a popular destination for tourists to write their wishes on sky lanterns and release them to the heavens; however, what goes up, must come down, and their so-called wishes litter the forest


walking along a white cliff's edge before the ridge

The trail began with some concrete stairs, then a wide dirt path, until a left turn took me up more stairs to a large white cliff's edge that seemed to appear out of nowhere. Following this up, I came to a small rope-assisted vertical scramble to the peak. The trail ended there and I was confused for a moment, but retracing my steps (carefully) back down the vertical rock, where those seemingly superfluous ropes and footholds suddenly became useful, I saw the rest of the trail just passed a map board.


scramble up to Cimu Ridge's summit

Cimu Ridge

The ridge was covered in greenery, so it didn't look at all steep or intimidating. There was also an abundance of poles, ropes, and carved-out steps and footholds in the rock to make the path safe and accessible. Mostly, I enjoyed that I didn't see or hear a single other person along the entire trail (until I reached the popular crags). The path was sometimes obscure but there were plenty of trail tags along the way, so I never felt lost, and all the trail intersections had signs with English as well.

In less than two hours of hiking I reached the saddle between Cimu and Putuo, and decided to climb up Mt Putuo first, being the highest and offering views of the two more picturesque crags.


hiking to the summit of Mt Putuo

The path was safeguarded with rope railings and the bare rock of the crag made for an impressive sight. With three summits so close in proximity (four trails all meet at the bottom - one leading nowhere), it almost feels like a playground area for hikers. After reaching the summit of Mt Putuo, I headed down and up to Cimu Peak. On Cimu's summit there were three trails. The one at the back lead down a steep carved-rock staircase and an extremely narrow path along the side of the crag. This lead to the scariest part of all: crossing a hammock-like rope-bridge that didn't look as stable as it was. If it gave out, I would surely have slid down to my slow death, and though I felt a little tough for braving the crossing, I was followed a little while later by a middle-aged Taiwanese couple who didn't think anything of it.

I will let a few more pictures speak for themselves. Scaling all three didn't take more than an hour including relaxing at the tops. I definitely recommend this longer, less-traveled, route to reach the crags.


view of Cimu (Loving Mother) Peak from Mt Putuo


Cimu Peak

a steep descent, Xiaozi Peak


view of Pingxi from Xiaozi Peak


atop Xiaozi Peak

Guanyin (Goddess of Mercy), in the open area where all the peak trails meet

Getting there: take a "local" TRA train from Taipei to Badu (or Ruifang), and then switch to a Pingxi Line train and get off at Pingxi. Local trains leave Taipei every 10 to 20 minutes, but the Pingxi trains are every 45 minutes, so try to catch a local train that won't leave you waiting too long in Badu (you can search train schedules easily via the Taiwan Railways Timetable website).

Returning, try to catch the Pingxi train as it heads in the opposite direction of Badu, the next stop being the end of the line. This way, you get to wait in AC and have a better chance of getting a seat, as the train just heads right back towards Badu.

4 comments:

  1. HELLO! I know this entry is pretty old, but I stumbled upon your blog post and it was excellent!

    I'm considering a day trip out of Taipei to Pingxi to climb the crags (and be a typical tourist and release lanterns in the evening, but not a priority). I can't find that much details online yet and yours seem to have a rather good explanation.

    I do need your help to confirm a few things though, could you assist?

    1. So there are a total of 3 peaks am I right? Cimu, Xiaozi, and Putuo?
    2. In the highlighted map, did you take the outer route (towards the mining ruins, earth gods and zhongyang peak) or did you cut in the middle and headed for Cimu right away?

    Hope you could help me with these queries, I'm trying to figure out the distance and time it takes to scale all 3 peaks, you mentioned scaling all 3 took less than an hour but the alternative route to the first peak took slightly below 2 hours so I'm guessing 3 hours would be ideal for the alternative route + visiting all 3 peaks, I hope to start at noon and be done before 4, if not start after lunch at 2-3 and be done before 7 to go fly some lanterns if I'm up for it.

    Cheers!

    --
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, sorry for the late reply. There are three crag peaks all very close together (as you listed). I cut through the middle and did not do the outer loop that included the mining ruins and beyond (though I did do it on a different day and that trail is most all flat and a very easy walk, not including Zhongyang Peak which I didn't do). Looking at the time stamp on my photos, it took about four hours from Pingxi and back (11am to 3pm), and I took my time. If you have extra time you can always check out some of the other neighboring stops on the Pingxi line and come back to do the lanterns at night. The train doesn't run that often so just check the timetable at the station so you have an idea of what to expect. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks I'm so glad you responded, this will help me a lot with my up coming trip, all that's left is to hope the weather's on my side.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is number of beautiful places for the tourist that you can visit during your tour. You can also visit some more beautiful places that provide you same beauty by Shimla from Gurgaon to visit a wonderful place of India. The place is easily visited during your weekend.

    ReplyDelete